We love train travel and would happily avoid flying and spend a life traveling the world by train. We generally try to incorporate some time traveling by train during any holiday and if we can spend the entire trip using public transport to get from A to B.
Traveling by train is part of the experience for us and it has so many advantages compared to other means of transportation.
On this page you will find links to all the train journeys we have written about over the last few years. This includes links to tips and resources to help you plan your train trip.
Train travel around the world
Europe – General train travel
- 25 scenic rail journeys in Europe for your bucket list
- How to travel from London to Prague via Cologne and Berlin
Europe – Swiss train travel
- 8 of the most scenic train trips to take in Switzerland
- A guide to traveling on the Bernina Express from Italy to Switzerland
- The Golden Round Trip from Lucerne to Mt Pilatus
- A complete guide to the best tours to Mt Pilatus
- A Swiss train journey to Jungfraujoch (the Top of Europe)
Europe – Scandinavian train travel
- How to travel from Copenhagen in Denmark to Malmo in Sweden by train
- A guide to the Flam Railway in Norway
Europe – UK train travel
- Complete guide to traveling by train around the UK
- Top 10 train journeys to take in Britain
- How to travel from London to Paris on the Eurostar
- 10 easy day trips from London by train
North America train travel
- A trip on the Starlight Express from Seattle to Los Angeles
- 8 Amtrak Train Trips to take in North America
Asia train travel
- Two train trips to take in Sri Lanka
- Top 10 train journeys to take in India
- A trip on the Eastern and Oriental Express from Bangkok to Singapore
Planning your train travel
Train travel tips
Book your tickets!
In Europe I recommend booking train tickets through the Trainline. The website is easy to use and in English so no confusions dealing with a variety of languages.
I recommend downloading the app to store e-tickets on a phone. Use the app to enable easy purchase of train tickets on the go.
If you are planning a lot of train travel around Europe you may find that the most economical way to do this is to purchase a Eurail or Interail ticket. The type of ticket you will require will depend on your normal country of residence – the Eurail Pass is for non-European citizens or residents while the Interail Pass is for European citizens and residents.
What is a Eurail pass?
A Eurail Pass is an all-in-one train ticket giving you flexible access to most trains across Europe. Unlike traditional train tickets, with Eurail you can go wherever you want, whenever you want. Some trains do ask you to make a reservation, but most trains can be boarded as easily as flashing your Pass.
What is an Interail Pass?
The Interrail Pass is a paper train ticket that allows travel on almost all trains in Europe including 40 railway and ferry companies in 33 countries.
In South East Asia
For train travel in Asia I recommend 12goAsia
Book through 12goAsia for instant seat confirmation not only for trains but also for buses, ferries, and flights.
Escorted train tours around the world
If you prefer an escorted train tour I recommend booking with Great Rail Journeys. They are a leader in escorted holidays by rail.
They sort all the logistics of your tour providing flexible and relaxed itineraries. Travel with a group of like-minded people (maximum group size of 25) as you explore new places together. Their team of local guides will show you around and share local knowledge and expertise to ensure you see the best of every destination.
Great Rail Journeys cover all the top destinations around the world. Request their brochure today and start planning your next adventure by rail.
Best train travel books and gifts
- Top 19 books all train lovers will love
- Top 20 gifts for train lovers of all ages
- 15 train themed gifts for children