This post may contain compensated links. Please read our disclaimer for additional information.

Travelling by train through Sri Lanka is something of a ‘must do’ experience. We were not disappointed when we decided to book 2 of the most scenic train journeys to experience in Sri Lanka – the Colombo Fort to Candy service and the Candy to Ella train.

If you are wishing to purchase tickets from the UK for the Sri Lanka train journeys you need to use an agent to do so. However as we were staying with Airbnb we asked our hosts to arrange the tickets for us.

Sri Lanka train journey 1 – Colombo Fort to Kandy

Our first train journey was from Colombo Fort to Kandy. We left the booking completely in the hands of our host and he managed to get us seats in the First Class Air Conditioned carriage.   Wow, we thought, First Class for only 1000 rupees (approx. £5.00 for two tickets!!). We arrived at Colombo Fort and very easily found our way to the correct platform. There are lots of Guards to point you in the right direction and were all very helpful. Our train was no. 1019 leaving at 10.35am. This was a modern (ish) Chinese-built blue train and we quickly found our way to our seats 21 and 22. The first class carriage is the only one where no standing is allowed, so there’s plenty of room.

colombo-fort-station-from-outside - sri lanka train journeys

colombo-fort-sign

platform-with-everyone-waiting

Places to visit in Sri Lanka - Pearl of the Indian Ocean

waiting-with-luggage

train

colombo-fort-station

However, because of the air conditioning the windows are sealed, which makes it difficult to take any photos of the amazing scenery. That being said, the 4-hour journey was very comfortable and there’s always somebody walking up and down the train selling food and drink.

What you need to know about booking AirBnb in Sri Lanka

sign-at-the-station

Sri Lanka train journey 2 – Kandy to Ella

Our second journey a few days later, was the one we were most excited about – Kandy to Ella. We’d read so much about this journey and how it’s widely described as ‘one of the best train journeys in the world’. It certainly didn’t disappoint!!

kandy-railway-station

Our top ten tips for visiting Sri Lanka

platform

sri-lankan-train

We were slightly apprehensive as our host in Kandy was only able to get us third class reserved seats. However, we needn’t have worried as this was probably the best option ever! At only 800 rupees (about £4.00 for two tickets) we joined many tourists and locals alike for the 6-hour journey to Ella. There were comfortable bench seats big enough to seat 3 people on one side of the carriage and 2 on the other side, with a table in-between. The windows were all open and ceiling fans blew a cooling breeze throughout the carriage.

Vendors often passed through the carriages selling things like tea, water nuts and samosas and we were prepared with snacks for the long journey.

food-for-sale TRAIN JOURNEYS TO EXPERIENCE IN SRI LANKA

The doors at the end of each carriage were wide open and passengers took it in turns to stand or sit in the open doorway. The train trundled along at what seemed like not more than 20 to 30 miles per hour and the tracks meandered their way through the countryside and slowly uphill towards Ella.

enjoying-the-views-from-the-train

It’s difficult to describe, without sounding ‘cheesy’ but every twist and turn revealed one amazing view after another (keep your camera handy!) from tea plantations to waterfalls and tree covered mountainsides shrouded in cloud.

enjoying-the-train

feet-dangling-from-the-train

The stations we passed through were well sign-posted and we were able to keep track of where we were using the map in our Marco Polo guidebook.

Two train trips to do in Sri Lanka

train-going-round-a-bend

great-views

beautiful-views

tea-picking

the-train Sri Lanka

When we pulled into the station at Ella it became clear that it was a major stopping point as everyone seemed to get off and there was quite a queue to get out of the station.

walking-beside-the-train

waiting-at-the-station

train-tracks train journeys to take in Sri Lanka

All in all, we had an amazing time travelling by train and can thoroughly recommend it. Nowhere near as daunting as we thought it was going to be. We highly recommend these train trips to experience in Sri Lanka so if you have the time book your tickets!

the sign at the train station for ella - Two trains journeys to experience in Sri Lanka

TOP TIP – If you are planning to book any of these great Sri Lanka train journeys check out the best resource there is for train travel – “The Man at Seat 61”. He has up-to-date information about organising train travel around the globe.

Do you enjoy train travel? Have you travelled by train around Sri Lanka or considered which train trips to do in Sri Lanka

or like us is it something you are now adding to your ‘to do’ in Sri Lanka list?

PIN FOR LATER!

YOU MAY ENJOY THESE POSTS TOO!

Top 10 great rail journeys to take around the world

Top 10 railway journeys around the world part 2

Top 20 gifts for train lovers

CLICK FOR EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO MY RESOURCE LIBRARY

subscription box

Over the last 50 years I have lived and worked in 7 countries on 4 continents and travelled to many more. I enjoy exploring and learning about new places and meeting people on my travels. History, reading, photography, nature and wildlife are my interests and I am ALWAYS researching and planning my next trip (preferably by train)

With a lifetime of travel experience, and a network of friends all over the world, I share genuine insider guides, recommended best book lists and train journey inspiration to help YOU travel authentically to some of the most beautiful places on earth.

31 thoughts on “A guide to two beautiful Sri Lanka train journeys

• Linda Tallett says:

Hi Jurga, yes our 3rd class tickets let us experience travel like many of the locals whereas in first class we felt trapped! Yes it was comfortable but the ability to sit in the doorway and dangle your legs out and see the fantastic scenery was something I’ll remember forever ?

1. Angie (FeetDoTravel) says:

What a result getting 1st class, and strewth, how cheap were those tickets??!! So glad that 3rd class wasn’t a disappointment and you were able to enjoy the cooling experience. Train journeys are relaxing when they are comfortable, it’s wonderful to look out of the window and enjoy the scenic views, especially the lush tea plantations. Thanks for sharing this information.

2. Kreete says:

How awesome is this! It pretty brave for letting basically strangers to organize your tickets, but it sounds like it worked out well! I would love to do that second train journey as it seems the scenery really was magnificent! Ahh maybe one day:) I have pinned it for the future!

3. David says:

Train really seems to be a great way to get about Sri Lanka, especially with the open doors like that. Splendid views of the countryside and the train looked far more modern than I was expecting. Looks like you had a lot of fun!

4. Lisa says:

That countryside is beautiful! Sounds like you had quite an adventure. Love traveling by train even if it isn’t ‘luxury”. Good for you for trying this!

5. Linda Tallett says:

Thanks everyone! Travelling by train in Sri Lanka really was easy and cheap!!! Come back to Tracy’s blog next week for my post on our accommodation through Airbnb ?

• Linda Tallett says:

Hi Marcelle, we were complete novices at travelling and we never once felt unsafe anywhere in Sri Lanka. Just go for it and enjoy the experience- we certainly did!!

6. Garth says:

Great post, looks like you had a real adventure by rail in Sri Lanka! We had fun in China last year on their overnight trains, so can appreciate a little how you felt!

• Linda Tallett says:

Hi Garth we’ve got a lot to learn but it’s given us an appetite to travel independently. China sounds lovely. My husband worked in Shanghai for a short while and he’d love to go back and show me the sights. It’s on my bucket list!!!

7. Claire at Tin Box Traveller says:

What an amazing couple of experiences. The photos from the leg to Ella are beautiful. I would have been in heaven. And I can’t get over the price. It costs me £90 for a standard class ticket for a three hour journey between Devon and London! Thanks so much for linking with #MondayEscapes

• Linda Tallett says:

Thanks Claire, train travel in Sri Lanka is certainly a bargain! We couldn’t believe how cheap it was and the scenery is amazing too! Another post due tomorrow on Tracy’s Travels in Time on our Airbnb accommodation in Sri Lanka. Don’t forget to come back and look!

8. Ali says:

Ooo – this post has left me so excited. Sri Lanka is my next travel destination and I’m planning to take at least 1 train journey – the views sound incredible. I am going to go for the lower class seating as I love a more local experience. Amazing!!

9. Upeksha says:

Wow, I remember taking this trip whilst I was growing up in Sri Lanka – it was a long time ago. They seem to have replaced the trains, but the scenery is just as fantastic. So glad you enjoyed it. #wanderfulwednesday

10. Flo says:

Train travel in Sri Lanka is so unique! I traveled through tea country as well but at sunrise – it was absolutely spectacular watching the colours change. Loved all your photos!

• Linda Tallett says:

Thanks Flo, wow what an amazing journey that must have been to see the sunrise! Luckily only had about 5 mins of rain as we got higher up into tea country but the rest of the journey was great ??

11. Travel Lexx says:

Looks like a fantastic way to experience this beautiful country. The landscapes are stunning and you’ve managed to get close to the locals. Great way to see Sri Lanka! Thanks for sharing

• Linda Tallett says:

Hi Travel Lexx, you’re right – we sat next to some locals on the train who had brought their lunch with them, all wrapped up in a banana leaf and newspaper – it was great to see!

12. Kana says:

Oh wow, looks like such a great way to explore Sri Lanka! I enjoy trains too; going up and down the west coast through Amtrak is so beautiful! Thanks for joining #FlyAwayFriday, see you next week!

13. Chloe says:

This is amazing!! I’ve heard so many good things about the trips you can take by train in Sri Lanka and wnat to experience it so bad! I’ll have to keep this in mind whenever I make it to Sri Lank!!!

14. Jackie Ronnell says:

What an amazing journey and experience, some of my favorite interactions with people happen on public modes of transportation. I think even if I had an unlimited amount of money I would choose to travel this way. Sri Lanka by train wasn’t on my list (which is always growing) but now I will definitely have to make it happen 🙂 I love your little opening picture by the way! Great article, I can’t wait to read more! 🙂

15. Pingback: Top ten tips for visiting Sri Lanka