This post may contain compensated links. Please read our disclaimer for additional information.

If you enjoy the works of artist Antony Gormley there are a number his installations that can be seen in the United Kingdom. This includes the Angel of the North in Gateshead, Sound II at Winchester Cathedral and Another Place which is found on Crosby Beach.

Anthony Gormley's Another Place on Crosby Beach

WHAT IS ANTONY GORMLEY’S ‘ANOTHER PLACE’?

Another Place is a a piece of modern sculpture consisting of 100 life size cast iron figures which stand at various places over a 3 kilometre stretch of Crosby Beach. They all stand facing the horizon. They are all identical and were modelled on Mr Gormley himself.

The figures were displayed in a few places in Europe – Cuxhaven in Germany, Stavenger in Norway and De Panne in Belgium. But due to the amazing foresight of an English Borough Council they are there at now located at Crosby Beach forever.

The figures each weigh 650 kilos and each one stands looking out at the distant horizon. They are spread all over the beach foreshore and some have been planted a little deeper than others.

I think it is the most perfect location in the world for them to be. There are the Liverpool docks not too far away and we watched lots of cargo ships going in and out. All going to another place or coming from one. The figures seem to stand staring longingly at the boats – and the horizon. I felt I could really identify with those figures. They are like me always standing looking for another place to go.

Antony Gormley himself I believe felt that Crosby Beach was perfect. He describes how Another Place ” harnesses the ebb and flow of the tide to explore man’s relationship with nature.” Obviously what better place than on a beach?? (see Visit Liverpool)

WHERE IS CROSBY BEACH?

As I mentioned the figures are located at Crosby Beach near Liverpool. They are spread over a 3 km area and some of the figures are too far out to get to. In fact there are clear warnings to visitors to stay within 50 metres of the promenade at all times and not to attempt to walk out to the furthest figures. There are areas of soft sand and mud and a risk of changing tide so it is very important to follow these safety guidelines. Some of the patches we walked on (within the 50 metre radius were soft and quite hard going – it felt a bit like quick sand)

HOW TO GET TO CROSBY BEACH TO SEE ANTONY GORMLEY’S ‘ANOTHER PLACE’

BY CAR – There is a car park next to the beach. Not sure on the charge but I don’t think it was free!

BU TRAIN – You can access Crosby Beach via 3 railway stations – Waterloo, Blundellsands and Crosby or Hall Road. Its a short 5 minute walk to the beach from there.

TIPS TO KNOW WHEN VISITING ANTONY GORMLEY’S ANOTHER PLACE

• Check the tides! You don’t want to arrive and find the tide is in! We arrived at low tide.
  • It is a dog friendly beach so take your pooches along!
  • There is a food van selling hot drinks and bacon sandwiches etc! And check out the starlings when you buy your cuppa!
  • Wear wellies/trainers or shoes that can cope with the sticky sands – I had old trainers on which were fine but were covered in sand by the time we had had a good walk on the beach.

PIN FOR LATER

Antony Gormley ANOTHER PLACE

A guide of things to do in Saltaire

A Lake District Itinerary - what to see and do in one day

What to see and do when visiting Cromford Mills in Derbyshire

Over the last 50 years I have lived and worked in 7 countries on 4 continents and travelled to many more. I enjoy exploring and learning about new places and meeting people on my travels. History, reading, photography, nature and wildlife are my interests and I am ALWAYS researching and planning my next trip (preferably by train)

With a lifetime of travel experience, and a network of friends all over the world, I share genuine insider guides, recommended best book lists and train journey inspiration to help YOU travel authentically to some of the most beautiful places on earth.

38 thoughts on “A guide to seeing world famous artist Anthony Gormley’s Another Place

1. Anna says:

This was such an interesting read! I like hearing about quirky local sites. I can imagine this to be a bit creepy in twilight hours… if you’re just strolling along the beach and see in the distance figures just standing there standing out into the horizon!

2. Garth says:

I love Antony Gormley and Another Place, in fact we’ve been there a couple of times. We’ve also seen them on the ferry to the Isle of Man, which makes for another perspective on the installation. Nice post, thanks for sharing.

3. Lisa says:

I really like unique/quirky things like this. I had not heard of this but I would definitely take the time to go check it out. Thanks for sharing something new to me!

4. Sarah says:

I grew up in Leeds so I’ve seen the Angel of the North so many times! I never really thought about the guy behind it so this was so interesting to read! Thanks for sharing… I’m totally going to have to visit his other work now!

5. Anna Schlaht says:

This is so fascinating! I’d never heard of Another Place before … but of course, if you can dream it, it likely exists. I think if I visited I’d be intrigued, but also perhaps a little creeped out! It must be eerie, standing at low- to no-tide and seeing these identical statues dotting the horizon.

Love the little Starlings. So cute. 😀

6. Only By Land says:

It might be worth going out there just for a bacon sandwich!! I have been to Liverpool many times and never heard of these statues, I’ve heard of the Angel of the North. I’ll take the train out to Crosby next time I’m there.

7. David says:

I’m the same with art and architecture but feel I’m slowly learning. Travel definitely helps you with that I think. I love public art or free days at art galleries as then everyone gets to experience it. Looks like a fascinating art installation, especially when you can see them all spread out. Neat!

8. Kreete says:

Of course you took a train haha! I love it! I never made it to that part of England and I massively regret it. No other option to come back and check it out. You did say it’s a permanent display right? I wonder how deep in the sand the statues must be buried that they don’t fall over with the soft sands and changing tides. Very interesting indeed. I have heard of statues under water for scuba divers and this is a little bit like the same thing.

9. Barry says:

I’ve visited Liverpool plenty of times but haven’t had the chance to see the Another Place at Crosby Beach. I’m heading back to the UK later this year so will have to check it out. Hopefully the sun will be out!

10. Angie (FeetDoTravel) says:

I did not know you grew up in the South West of England, my hubby’s Dad is a Geordie so we have visited the Angel of the North and it must have been so interesting being around when that was erected! As for Another Place, I didn’t know it was called that but it’s somewhere my friend mentioned to me not so long ago and we were going to go on a photography trip there, all I knew before now was that there was a beach with iron statues! Reading this has brought it all to light for me and given me all the information I need so thank you, I have pinned this for future reference. #feetdotravel